Monday, May 6, 2013

Early May

On April 30 I planted tomato seedlings outside in the garden. I did not plant every single one, smaller ones were thrown away. A few days later I can tell that not every seedling I planted will survive, but there sure should be enough tomato plants that will strive.

Last Saturday, May 4 I went out with intentions to seed several things, but ended up spending all my time turning compost pile and distributing compost around the garden. There might have been eight wheel barrel loads I could take. I sure hope there aren't too many weed seeds in the compost, although I know there will be some.

And tonight I went out "just for a little bit" and ended up having a very productive evening. I seeded marigolds (seeds kept from last year), second helping of beans, cucumbers 'Straight Eight', and summer squash 'Fordhook.' I also planted dahlias that were kept in peat during winter. I'm not very hopeful that they have survived well, but at least they are now in ground and we'll see what happens.

Dogwoods have almost finished blooming. Weather stays cool and pansies love it--they keep blooming. Everything seems to stay in bloom longer because of the coolness. Wrens have built a nest on top of the bush near the front door, and I believe chickadee family has occupied the birdhouse in the backyard.

No pictures this time. Garden looks the best right now, though--fresh, clean and kept.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers